Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The vocal is regret spun hollow and strung on a wire. - Michael Perry

I like a certain kind of music. The good kind. My iTunes reflects a variety of genres and artists but my iPod playlists pose a penchant for the melancholy and morose. Strings and aching vocals. I love a song that can get your body moving. Makes your hips swing and your feet tap. But sometimes I feel most connected when I'm on my back, eyes closed, headphones on. It's the type of music that captures a feeling that can not be articulately expressed in any other format. And even if I am at my happiest moment I can still appreciate the power of the story. The strength of the song.

Bon Iver is releasing their new LP June 21st. I am looking forward to this follow up to For Emma. If you can't find me on the volleyball courts look for me laying by the river. Blanket spread. Sunblock on. Soaking it all in.

"In the absence of solid ground, the whirlwind becomes a whirlpool, and Bon Iver, Bon Iver is Justin Vernon returning to former haunts with a new spirit. The reprises are there – solitude, quietude, hope and desperation compressed – but always a rhythm arises, a pulse vivified by gratitude and grace notes, some as bright as a bicycle bell. The winter, the legend, has faded to just that, and this is the new momentary present. The icicles have dropped, rising up again as grass." - Michael Perry

No comments: