Friday, August 8, 2008

among other things, i've taken up smoking.

no. not really. i can put cigarette smoking on my short list of "never-haves". although someone pointed out that never-haves are actually not-yets, waiting in the wings. and it only takes one time to eliminate a lifetime of never.

i did, however, pick up the book bearing this very odd and lengthy title. a novel by aoibheann sweeney. i had to escape today. i got off the phone this morning with the ultimate paint shop. apparently their today turned into next wednesday and my seemingly endless stay in chicago swept me under. i needed to get some air. to get out of this tv watching household. haunted by dark chocolate m&m's and kathy lee gifford. am i being punished for my poor choice in vehicles? why not buy american? next time i go german. that vw jetta has my name on it. so i grabbed the keys to my uncle's honda accord and made a break for the surface. glad i know straight drive. as any young woman should. it's handy. and it's just palin cool. i headed to barnes & nobles for a respite in the pages. glossy covers and coffee aromas. perfection. found ideas for a few new hobbies. archery. i've always wanted to try my hand at a bow and arrow. making my own clothes. kntting and crochetting. and being able to tell the difference between the two. art journaling. which i've already been doing but never had a name for it. not quite a journal. not quite a scrapbook. just finished one a few months ago. it was a long on going process. aptly called "the life and times of audrey l. mann. my brief stint into debotchery. the rails and ramifications. the long haul to where i now sit perched, typing in a gourmet kitchen, drinking hot coffee and listening to mr. a-z. his words courting my ears with their perfect pitch. purused the fitness section. new yoga positions. the forearm stand. tried that one in the park last night. note to self, use a spotter. decided on my next tatoo. i'm feeling a little unbalanced. especially since i lost my desperately seeking susan black bracelets. got recipes for chocomole and almond shakes. i think i'm going to try my hand at raw foods. i'm tired all the time and my complexion is a disaster. a break from the shackles of my current eating habits is a welcomed thought. freedom. energy. clarity. and regularity, to boot. i caught up with james and shia. and added to my summer reading list.

::food for thought::
this is your brain on music: daniel j. levitin
extremely loud and incredibly close: jonathan sofran faer
what you have left: will allison
evening is the whole day: preeta sanarosa
paris to the moon: adam goprik
songs without words: ann packer

things are calming down now. my car, who cares. i guess i'll just have to eat birthday cake here. that's one thing that wont be raw. double chocolate brownie cake has my name all over it. as in, happy birthday audrey. you are about to be twenty-nine and absolutly no closer to settling down in life. congratulations. just how do you do it? with a hope and a prayer. and a good cry every-once-so-often. erin, thanks for the phone call somewhere between tatoos and reading lists. my spirits are lifted. i'm still new at this free form living. i want to stake everthing down. formulas and bar graphs. e=mc hammer. and i'm too legit to quit, now. leave the ruler and compass behind. strap on those running shoes and fill in the gaps with my ipod friends. jay & matt and ryan have yet to let me down. be back in forty-five.
if you need me i'll be on michigan avenue.

No comments: