Tuesday, August 26, 2008

do not attempt to adjust your television.

Great Sand Dune National Park. What can I say. It's incredible. A sixteen mile ride straight down a country road, peaks rising up in the distance. Larger and larger as you approach. Sand into Mountains in to sky. Colorado gets more beautiful with every mile. I park at the visitor center and walk around. Reading the information. Largest sand dunes in the United States. Created by blowing winds over many years. Pictures don't do it justice.
It's evening now. And the sun is getting low. The sand is cool. Safe for Marley. Safe for bare feet. Cool, gusty winds. Warm bathing sun. I am enveloped in it. I walk out to the dunes deciding just to photograph them from the ground. After a six mile hike with marley in Waldo Canyon that morning, we are tired. But the hills beckon us. We are half way up before we notice. The top is our goal now. Meeting people on the way up. Austin, Utah, California...I am far from home but feeling so safe and relaxed. We watch the sun set. Chilled by the breeze. Content at the sight. Our accomplishment is rewarded. We are on top of the world.

The fullness of your grace is here with me. The richness of your beauty is all I see. The brightness of your glory has arrived. In your presence, God, I'm completely satisfied.

We start for the car. sand sliding beneath our feet. Footprints trailing up towards us. Long shadows cast across open terrain. I have energy I didn't before. We run. Me chasing behind the marley dog. Bounding over ridges. Racing for the next peak. Jumping. Landing. Cushioned by the soft, cool grains of sand. A trickle of a stream awaits us at the bottom. Marley quenches his thirst. I stand in awe. Where have I been my whole life. This is living. This is the great outdoors. This is home. My heart is happy.










No comments: