Thursday, August 28, 2008

colorado is why man invented the suv. and utah is why man invented the high-beam.

driving out of telluride, the sun slowly sinking behind the mountains. blue, to pale, to orange, to horizon. i had to pry myself from this town. convince myself to leave. there is more to see ahead. more adventures to be had. but it's nice to feel so comfortable. i haven't had that in a long while. my spirit resonates with the aspen and the creek. the trails and quaintly lined main street. eclectic shops. restaurants. outdoor provisions. friendly people. on a mission, but not busy. they are productive but not hurried. they all have places to be and jobs to do, but they are enjoying the to's and fro's of their day as well. no need for cars. bikes will do just fine in this summer weather. a nice walk, too. there's live music tonight. i want to stay but i'm afraid that i'll never leave, if i do. and i've got friends to see. off to utah.

the road winds through the mountains. the sky becoming black. broken by stars. the moon glows brightly. it's quiet and cool an i am guided by the lunar cast. the terrain changes and the air warms. the moon is now hidden bedind clouds. the sky is black. blackest black. i use my high beams to show the way. a few extra feet in front of me. animal eyes shine bright along the roadside. cows. horses. deer. finally lights on the horizon. moab in the distance. streets are busy with people. neon signs. flat road. a land locked myrtle beach. not what i expected. disappointed by its tourist draw. find a rest stop for the night. a family is camped out on the sidewalk. a line of sleeping bags in descending size order.
the air is warm and there is a cool breeze. i roll my sleeping pad out onto the cement picnic table and lay my head on my pillow. marley at my feet, keeping guard. keeping me safe. i sleep under the stars. i nthe desert. the warmth radiating off the half circle shelter enclosing the picnic table. i am warm. i am asleep.
i wake with the sun. the heat on my face. soft. warm. soothing. back on the road. marley's paws are worn. too many hikes. he needs a good rest. guard duty is doinghim in. and the coming heat will not be welcomed by him. colorado was much friendlier to furry creatures. so we drive past arches national park. the big hole. canyonlands. i climb up to an arch in the rock. the sun still low in the sky. orange rock against the truest blue. a sun salutation. i stretch. yoga on warm, solid surface. it calls for it. it is required. i am giddy at this height. this view. this morning. thank you, lord. i stretch and touch my toes. lower onto my stomach. arch my back. sun on my face. eyes closed. basking in the quiet of the morning. downward dog. feel the stretch in my calves. my hamstrings. back. arms. the hiking has agreed with me. i feel fresh and energetic. raise up. arms overhead. namaste.






No comments: